530591: Corbett -- second funniest note I've ever gotten

From Bob Corbett

Folks, as most of you know I have a massive web page of material on Haiti. It generates a great deal of e-mail and often inquiries sent to me personally I end up posting to the list and many of you help the folks out.

At times the requests are hilarious. Until today it was clear that my favorite came to me about 5-6 years ago. It was from a high school boy in California. On my history page I have four essays on The Haitian Revolution (the first one of 1791-1804). In sum were one to print it out it must be 40 - 50 pages long. The student told me he had read the essay and (on of my favorite lines) "I think you are right about most of it." He then went on to say one problem with the essays was that I used lots of big words. He then ask if I would be willing to write him a five page summary of the essays. It took me all day to quit breaking out in laughter overy that.

I did write back. I told him I would be happy to do that, but that it would save both of us lots of time if he could give the exact requirements of the assignment so I could better meet them. I instructed him to first send a check for $300 to my address. Alas, I never heard back.

We yesterday and today came a close second. I have a large section on the Haitian religion and a fellow whose language was not English and whose name was one I couldn't identify by country. He wrote wanting to know about Voodoo. I told him what I had to say I had said in the essays on my web page that he had accessed, but if he had any specific question I would try to answer.

Today the one sentence reply came back: "can u make my girl come bak to me?"

Oh me, I do love the internet.

Bob Corbett