30598: Corbett (reply) Spinelli (reply) Jacmel Film Festival (fwd)

From Bob Corbett

Mike, I must vehemently disagree with you. I first got involved with Haiti in 1983 and for more than 20 years worked in various areas of
economic development along the lines you suggest.

However, there seems to me no good reason that any one person cannot do more than one area of work, and that collectively people just have different interests and different focuses.

I would accept the principle -- do no harm. But, things like the arts and many other things not concerned with basic material needs, do not seem to me to do any harm, but do a different sort of good.

Over the years I took more than 500 people to Haiti to do some charity work and to experience Haiti. These folks were quite diverse in their own interests and many got excited about Haiti, but very differently. It was my experience that were some one on fire with something about Haiti (something that I could assess as not harmful), then were I to help enable them, their own MOTIVATION was such they would last longer at their activities.

If, on the other hand, one were to push them to do various works that dealt with the worst poverty I think one would find that often their motivation would flag. On the other hand, if I could find anything about Haiti that excited the people, and I could aid them in THAT area, even if it wasn't something I wanted to do, their own inner motivation would carry them on much longer.

I think just from a practical aspect, to want to limit people to just the things that you find important is counter-productive to the long-term good of Haiti itself.

Even in my own case, I was highly motivated to go to Haiti to work with the economic projects my organization was funding. However, in addition to that I love much more about Haiti, and given my personality and life-style, I love sitting on the veranda of the Oloffson Hotel, visiting with people, having a nice meal and a few drinks. That motivated me. At at times when my energies to do some of the harder stuff, it would be the potential to visit the Oloffson and enjoy some time that pushed me a bit and said, in effect, come on Corbett, it may be hot up the hills and all that, but you will get a few delightful days at the Oloffson as well.

I don't advocate MY LIFE STYLE on others, but that motivated me, seems to me to have done no harm at all, and did provide some minimal economic support to a business institution in Haiti that to me seems very positive. That's just one's person's example. It could be multiplied thousands of times with others.

Respectively,

Bob Corbett
Former president and director of People to People, Inc.