30611: Forrest (reply) RE: Spinelli (reply) Jacmel Film Festival (fwd)

From: fmooy@tulane.edu

As someone who has spent significant time living and working in Haiti for a long time, I just want respond to Mike Spinelli's email by saying that, despite their impoverished circumstances, Haitians are still people. They have hopes and dreams and, of course, sorrows and tragedy all of which provide ample inspiration for art which needs expression. To say that Haitians should abandon the arts seems to me a cold statement to make. Haiti, much more than the developed world needs an occasional release from the cares of every day life which music, film and the other arts can provide. I think it is also important to realize the role that local music and film play in local political and social movements here in Haiti. The Jacmel film festival is an important outlet for local film. All of this is in addition to the commercial and touristic value of Haitian art which is significant. In my opinion no society is so poor that it can abandon the arts, doing so would only further impoverish its members.

Forrest Mooy
Fonkoze S.A. Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Juris Doctor Candidate, May 2009
Tulane University Law School