30605: Curci (ask) Colonial, Revolutionary, and Early-National Ruins in Haiti (fwd)

From: Stephanie Curci <scurci@andover.edu>

I am trying to put together a website whose goal will be a "map" of photos
of colonial, revolutionary, and early national ruins around Haiti. I'm  a
high-school English teacher who has been visiting Haiti since the late '70s
(when I was really little) and did my masters' thesis on the Haitian
Revolution's effect on American writing pre-Civil War.  Needless to say, I'm
no historian, but I have been watching so many of these sites disappear or
deteriorate further over the years, and "preserving" these historical sites
through photos seems a cheaper and more realistic alternative.  In addition,
I know that many students I talk to find discussion of Haiti and its history
much more resonant when they can picture this history.  I would also love to
have the map serve as a sort of guide for other history-minded folks like
myself who would like to explore sites on their own.

I've just spent time in the Artibonite, and I'm returning in August,
focusing on the area between Port de Paix and Fort Liberte, Les Cayes and
Jacmel, and Jeremie.  While I'm familiar with major forts, I'm looking for
advice/recommendations/etc. for these areas--particularly ruins of
plantations, mills, etc. that might not be known except by locals.

To spare Corbett-land, please email me directly at scurci@andover.edu .  I
will, however, email the Corbett list once the site is up (probably in the
fall).  I speak French and Kreyol, so feel free to email in whatever
language suits you best.

Mesi!

Stephanie Curci