30613: Kathleen (reflections) 30588, 30598 (fwd)

From: Kathleen Burke <kathleendantor@verizon.net>

Dear List:

30588 - Delva describes "now government priorities" as cracking down on drug trafficking and corruption in Haiti. Previously (don't have number), Preval reported that the suspended interest payments would be dedicated to establishing security and improving a very broken "justice" system. Are we to assume that order has been restored? I understand that men do not dread rape like women do, but I saw no notice that the kdnappings/rapes, many arranged with cooperation of police, have dropped to a non-issue. Regarding lyall/Corbett (30598) posts regarding arts, yes, man does not live by bread alone. But if you are scared of being kidnapped and abused, maybe even killed on the way to the art museum and the film festival, you are a realist as far as I know, not a coward. Can anyone give me a reason why security has dropped off the screen? Are you really comfortable? Kathleen