30644: Jonas (reply) to post 30622: Schwartz (ask) question about missions in haiti (fwd)

From Jonas Alexandre (alexanj1@yahoo.com):

Tim asked "What is the best estimate of total missionary activity in Haiti. By
"missionary" I mean all informal aid in terms of orphanages, clinics, schools,
all that is not included in assistance from US or other governments."

Tim, like for many other areas about Haiti, theses statistics do not exist anywhere. I do not know that the Haitian government keeps a database of missionaries working in Haiti. There's a list of registered ONG's/NGO's from the Ministry of Cults, which I can share with you off-list, but one can't tell their purposes nor their sizes just from the list. If by 'missionary' you meant Christian, I have a growing comprehensive list on www.HaitiChristianity.com, which I started building a few months ago. Many of these organizations have short-term missionary trips yearly (see calendar), bringing supplies and monies. No estimates of amounts spent by those located in Haiti. The larger/better-organized, US based missions (such as Beyond Borders) do post financials on-line.

Jonas