30646: Forrest (Reply) RE: 30641: Horelle (reply) Re: 30627: Edouard (question) Haitians on list (fwd)

From: fmooy@tulane.edu

I don't know what your background is Guy, or what your connection is to Haiti, but your comment is way off the mark. In general Haitians are very aware of the problems that exist here. Furthermore, my impression is that most Haitians here want things to change. They want a better life for themselves and their children just like all people everywhere. The thing is...they want it on their terms. That concept should be easy to grasp by anyone from the United States (or other similarly developed areas). "Have it your way" as the now somewhat dated advertising campaign goes...Isn't that what the west is all about?

The problem is that we in the "developed world" want it our way and seem to be hell-bent on making sure the "developing world" has it our way too. If the Haitians you interact with seem exasperated and overwhelmed by the state of affairs in their nation today, you might ask yourself how US and Western European intervention has contributed to that state. Similarly, if your Haitian colleagues seem quick to point an accusatory or finger at the 'blan' (let's use the Kreyol spelling) today, there is plenty of historical precedent to support that mistrust.

You ask the question: "are you sure you want to do something about it?" but what do you really know about what Haitians are doing about it? I don't present myself as any kind of expert...I am not Haitian and it would be ridiculous for me to claim that I fully understand these complex people, but I try to understand what I can. One think that I do understand is that many, if not most, Haitians would just be happy to be left alone by the international community. The fact is that too much "development" aid actually impedes Haitians' efforts to ameliorate their situation (think pig eradication or surplus crop dumping and those are just recent examples.)

In any case, I am not trying to pick a fight, only to suggest that different cultural perspectives lead to different solutions to problems. In the Haitian context, sometimes these "solutions" are in conflict with one another. When they do, it is important to remember that we 'blan' are not gods, in fact our insight into the Haitian situation is actually pretty myopic. Our efforts to aid the people of Haiti have largely failed, while everyday millions of Haitians are succeeding at helping themselves.

Your Friend and a Friend of the Haitian People,

Forrest Mooy
Fonkoze S.A. Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Juris Doctor Candidate, May 2009
Tulane University Law School