30652: Kathleen (reply) 30648 (fwd)

From: Kathleen Burke <kathleendantor@verizon.net>

Over and over again, a man diminishes the torture rapes reported by reliable sources on those women who were kidnapped 05 -06 in Haiti (maybe now, I don't know). One Haitian woman told her family not to ransom her, because she could no longer live after being raped with penises enhanced by piercing by sharp objects. Another white woman in sixties endured the same, after working in Haiti for 25 years. This is not an urban myth. Constant comparison to "ordinary" murders etc. in D.C. don't resonate with women who experienced this , or heard of this. When captured, the men were photographed and sought medical attention for what they had done to themselves. I know men can be raped too, but this solely male reaction is very insulting and diminishing, this ignoring of the increased vulnerability and thus fear on the part of women. Kathleen