30670: Kriegsman (reply) Re: 30664: Spinelli (reply) To those who responded, or read the back and forth on the Spinelli email (fwd)

From: Elliot Kriegsman <farpacific10282@yahoo.com>

Dear Mr. Spinelli;

No doubt you are a friend of Haiti. As for your booklet, which I just
finished reading, I suggest you invite the following Haitians to a group
discussion:

Jacques Bernard, the former head of CEP whose malfeasance nearly threw the
2005 presidential election...

Bernard Gousse and Andy Apaid, business owners who've earned countless
millions exploiting underpaid, Haitian workers...

Stanley Lucas, front-man for the International Republican Institute, a
U.S. organization that masterminded the overthrow of Haiti's first,
democratically elected government...

Gerard Latortue, leader of the de facto regime that ushered in Haiti's
present depth of suffering...

Louis-Jodel Champlain, a member of the 2004 coup whose conviction as a
mass murderer was miraculously overturned by Msr. Latortue.

Guy Philipe, another coup member who ran for president before the blood on
his hands had dried.

Mike, I could go on and on. Haiti is rife with people who've been
profiting from Haiti's misery. They learned it from Papa Doc decades ago.
Until they're subdued or passified, progress will languish yet all we hear
is how successful the U.N. has been in subduing the poor. The structure of
government, the judicial system, and the means by which financial aid is
managed are all in tatters. To paraphrase Paul Farmer from his essay in a
recent, Foreign Affairs magazine, organizations need to develop a way to
"stove-pipe" these funds to target recipients before they're siphoned off
by bureaucrats and parasites.

Mike, I'm sure Haiti will appreciate your plan. Everything you say has
been said before. It would be to your advantage - and to Haiti's - if you
could co-opt some of the people standing in the way.

Pita, zanmi,

Elliot Kriegsman