30676: Loccm (reply) Re: 30652: Lorsbach (reply) Re: 30648: Durban (comment): Re 30613 Forrest and 30588 Kathleen on Security (fwd)

From: loccm@aol.com

RE. Safety in Haiti:  You are naturally entitled to your thoughts on Haiti but I sadly remember a post some years ago that reflecected another contributors thoughts.  In response to comments on safety at that time, he pasted that he couldn't believe all the fear being talked about.  He shared that he stayed at the Ollofson and had spent the last night downtown on the streets until after midnight, enjoying drinking and laughing with his friends.  He added that it was entirely safe and there was no need for fear.  It has been some time and I hope that I get the facts correct but it seems that in the next day or so his good friend who if memory serves me right, owned the Royal Haitian Hotel was shot and killed as he walked on the sidewalk,  by two men passing on motorcycles.  It is easy to feel safe when you do not know any of the victoms.  I was taken away at gun point by two policemen who convinced me that it was in my best interest to donate $700. Do you think that I feel safe with the same men protecting me?

John BaMwen