30701: Fofoye (reply) Re: 30676: Loccm (reply) Re: 30652: Lorsbach (reply) Re: 30648: Durban ... (fwd)

From: FOFOYE@aol.com

There cannot be safety as long as there is impunity.

Some family members own property which they leased out several  years ago.
The woman created a school, as well as other businesses on the property and has
generated enough income from this property to buy several  others, yet she
still refuses to pay the lease. In the  meanwhile, we continue to pay the taxes
or we might lose the the  property, because the tax receipt is the first thing
they ask  where ever you go.
We tried eviction proceedings, but were told they  cannot evict a school
because of the students. So we went through the rigamarole of hiring attorneys,
and going to  court.
The first attorney we hired was bought out by our opponent so we had  to
start all over gain.
We won numerous judgments over the course of several years,  and each time
she bought the judge out.
On one occasion, the police was ready to carry out the eviction  when the
judge appeared in person to withdraw his judgement after  being paid twenty
thousand haitian dollars.

Similar cases are not unheard of. Friends of ours finally got  their house
back after a battle that lasted well over fifteen years.

The safety some claim having witnessed is only superficial. It's the luck  of
the draw, if you do not get hit today. you are spared to live another  day.
Discussing safety in Haiti is futile at this juncture,  because Haiti is not
yet ready. Haiti is still at its infancy. It has not yet  matured, it has not
yet grown up nor has its people. With no  infrastructure; no laws; no
attorneys; no courts; no judges; no justice; no  jails; no real "education"; no
honesty; no conscience; what kind of safety can  we talk about?