30722: Hermantin(News)Delray Beach's Haitian council faces tough road (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flhaitian0708pcjul08,0,7311592.story
Delray Beach's Haitian council faces tough road

Haitian group offers immigration services

By Dianna CahnSouth Florida Sun-SentinelJuly 8, 2007
Delray Beach Guerline Delva spent her first nights in the United States in jail, alone and heartbroken, wrenched from her home in Haiti and the people she loved.It was a time of great political strife, and Delva's husband was an opposition politician. So, she left her baby daughter with Delva's mother and sisters and boarded a plane for Miami.That was four years ago. Today, Delva has political asylum and a new home — hard-won victories she gained with the help of the Haitian American Community Council, she said. They showed her how to apply for a visa and a green card, and helped with the forms in English. "I got all my work papers with them," she said, sitting in the council's offices recently, her daughter Schebania finally by her side. "I just give them my donation. They never tell me it's too little."For Delva and dozens of immigrants like her, the Haitian American Community Council is a lifeline into American society. It has been operating for 15 years in their Delray Beach neighborhood. Services are free.But this year, the council came close to shutting its doors after its main funding source pulled the plug. Palm Beach County, the organization's only other funding source nearly did the same, over concerns about the council's administrative and fiscal performance.The first blow came in September, when the Children Services Council of Palm Beach County halted its annual funding of $531,674 for two Haitian council programs, family empowerment and Head Start, and moved the work to another agency. This followed a recommendation by Palm Beach County staff members in July that the county stop funding an average of $150,000 a year for the council's immigration program. If it had, the Haitian council would have been penniless."This has been a decline over years," said Renee Constantino, of the county's Human Services division. "We kept giving them support. We kept giving them technical assistance like CSC did. Finally, they just fell apart."But county commissioners, led by Mary McCarty who represents Delray Beach, decided to extend the council's contract one more year.The decision was rough on Carolyn Zimmerman, board president and co-founder of the Haitian council. Zimmerman loves to recall stories of how she started the agency with her friend Daniella Henry, a Haitian, how they made trips to Haiti, worked tirelessly for better treatment for Haitians, and started an AIDS program at the height of the crisis. "This is not an easy position, when you are dealing with people's hurts in their lives," Zimmerman said. "You go home and think, 'How can I help that person? What can I do?' And you don't know, and you can't sleep."She acknowledged that the council had some financial problems and went through a series of directors in recent years, but said these were ordinary pitfalls of a nonprofit organization and insisted that the books were in order."I don't think that very many people could run the organization with the little amount of money we use," she said. A review by the children's council conducted in August found that its staff had cited the Haitian council on 10 occasions in recent years for governance, fiscal and programmatic issues, and placed the Haitian council on corrective action plans twice.The agency fell behind on bills and tax payments and didn't follow protocol in seeking funding for debts, the review said."The agency does not maintain a sufficient cash flow to function," it said. It cited "grave concerns … that they may be close to, if not actually, insolvent."The children's council moved the programs it funded to the Broward-based Minority Development and Empowerment, taking the program staff with them. That allowed the programs and services to continue, children's council spokeswoman Marlene Passell said."It didn't affect the community even for a minute," she said. Zimmerman and Haitian council program supervisor Lola Pierre-Louis said they pushed for the arrangement."I said, 'If you take our funds away, you have to find a place for these employees,'" Zimmerman said."I still refer clients to them," Pierre-Louis added. "We want to see the Haitian Americans get the help they deserve."The only service remaining with the Haitian council is immigrant services, rendered by Pierre-Louis and two other staff members. The council helps immigrants fill out forms, helps with translations and refers immigration lawyers when needed.It's about giving people a leg up to a new life, Zimmerman said.In the lobby recently, Delva sat with her new husband, Jean, their new baby, and Delva's daughter Schebania from her former life in Haiti.Delva's husband in Haiti disappeared, she said. Two years ago, she married Jean and started building a new life, working toward her naturalization and finally recently sending for Schebania. Now, she was starting Schebania down the same path. For them, the Haitian council is a key part of the process."It would be hard if they close it," Jean said. "If you need information, you come and you get information. If you need to fill out papers, you come and they help. If you need translation, you come here. If they close, it's going to hurt the community. It's going to be really bad." Dianna Cahn can be reached at dcahn@sun-sentinel.com or 561-228-5501.

See what you’re getting into…before you go there.
http://newlivehotmail.com