30743: Roebling (reply) RE:3027 Kondrat re Lancet (fwd)

Elizabeth Roebling, lizieames@yahoo.com,

I think that the underlying issue behind the Lancet study controversy is not whether or not the author was an Aristide supporter but rather whether or not the violence against women erupted under Aristide or later --- the issue of the violence is the issue and Deibert's point is that the study implies that this was after Aristide and things were calm under him.

While Aristide certainly spoke to the hearts of many progressives and filled Haiti and the world with much hope, he certainly armed the young men of Cite Soleil and told the poor that they had a right to simply go and take what the more wealthy had. I met a young woman who went to his church who said that he would walk out with them, the young people in the congregation, after the service, through the middle class neighborhood and point to the nice houses and say:"See that. See those fine houses? That is why you are poor."

Non violent, he was not. Ah the lovely smell of "Pere le Brun".

Why the American left is still so enamored of him is a mystery to me.But perhaps they support revolution by any means. My hope that Aristide may have a long and happy life in South Africa. As far as I can tell, only a few loyal Americans and some gang members in Port au Prince long for his return.Preval seems to be doing a fine job as the duly elected president.