30779: Burnham: RE: 30753: fragility and (news) Chamberlain: Haiti-Aristide Protest (fwd)

reply to: tburnham@colgate.edu

I watched the tele eclair broadcast on Sunday evening after Brazil slapped Argentina around. Lots of celebration after the victory. A couple of people died in the resulting celebrations, apparently. They showed Aristide talking about his new book...at great length. It made a lot of people very nervous. Film footage of the demonstration showed that there was an awful lot of people celebrating/protesting the former president's birthday. His monologue was a fluid transition from an academic discussion of language to one of Haitian politics. It certainly could be intertpreted in a number of ways. That being said, there is a fragility in the calm, here, it seems to me. While the crackdown on rogue elements and criminals continues apace(Le Nouvelliste reported several lynchings of suspected criminals in the south by the local population and Lavaud in Gonaive has just been arrested but they missed Phillippe; big drug arrest yesterday involving DEA), the return to "security" needs to be quickly matched by an economic package of some significance. Haiti needs a Marshall plan. And quick. There is a tremendous ambivalence about MINUSTAH coming from various quarters. Serious resentment exists towards the blan who make big salaries and get the prettiest girls on the weekends at the beach....i myself find the large UN vehicles irritating, once again. (I'm reminded of 1995 again.) On the other hand, they are here for stability and security. A bigger question is who is being protected from whom. I am continually told of an absence of money in the local markets. Nobody has any cash. I'm wondering if economic problems in Florida are hurting the remittance market in the same way they've been noted to have decreased for Mexico. Others on this list have noted the urgency of a jobs package/program of some sort. School starts in September. Not much time to get things in order and convince people that the whole thing was worth it. The tall foreheads better hurry up. best,Thor Burnham
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx