30774: Gilles (reply) Re : 30751: Kriegsman (reply) Re: 30731: Gilles (reply) Re : 30670: Kriegsman (reply) Re: 30664: Spinelli (reply) To those who responded, or read the back and forth on the Spinelli email (fwd)

From: Emmanuelle Gilles <manugi28@yahoo.fr>

Bonjour Elliot,

By the way, just to let you know that I happen to be a woman and not a man. The spelling "Emmanuelle" refers. I am sure that some of you have seen the series of movies with the name and the character is definitely a woman. NOT ME of course. Bref!

I can see that you have an utopian approach to the situation in Haiti. It is wrong to exploit people of course, in Haiti, exploiting them would mean that the businesses are paying less than the minimum wage. Is this the case? I do not know. If indeed, they are paying the minimum wage, than you cannot affirm that poor Haitians are being exploited, they are given jobs rather. In Moldova, a teacher with a PhD is getting a salary of 100 dollars a month. In Cambodia, a teacher is getting $30 a day to teach. I have worked in both countries. Compared to Haiti, they are doing much worse in terms of wages but not in terms of social services. This is not to say that things are not bad in Haiti, it can certainly improve. This improvement can only be done gradually and it would take years of reforms and good will to achieve that. The Haitians need more guidance than criticism. How do you see these reforms happenings. What are the priorities? How can we develop a multisectoral programme that will yield to the development of the poor? where can we start. Certainly there are obstacles, how can they be overcome? What about a decentralized government?

The government needs to focus on social development and help alleviate the conditions of the poor - in order to do that, the financial institutions should also have pro-poor policies whereby the government can invest in social services such as housing development, health, education etc.... You are aware that such projects will never be approved for funding. IMF is more concerned about downsizing, curbing inflation thus guaranteeing loan repayment etc... The Government needs to find other means to invest on the poor. This needs sacrificing. It cannot be expected to see miracles in limited times, any efforts can only be visible with time. Any of you have experience in Government issues, public administration? Let's put a booklet together to assist those in power.

I will correct you to say that the Office of the Prime Minister is not an elected position. The Haitian constitution is based on the French system. The Prime Minister is chosen by the President from the party that has majority in parliament. Clearly, the Prime Minister can be selected.

Your refusal to admit that Aristide has changed the political, economic and social scenery of the country to the worse conditions than it has ever been - is discouraging. You are either blind or a loyal friend of Aristide or its lavalas movement and not of the Haitian people. It is unfortunate. No one could foresee the degree of shame and disgrace and the extent that the little priest has belittled himself and the whole nation. Prior to his tenure in power, the Duvalier Government was known for its totalitarian regime. The Haitian people was peaceful and the country was peaceful. Of course like any totalitarian regime, there were problems of political nature. Nothing to be proud of ... When the priest came to power as the first democratically elected president and as a priest – one would expect him to be decent, different from the Duvalier and better. He was what we Haitians call a “vagabond” of pure nature. He decried our people and our nation and it is because of him that the opportunity was seized by outsiders to further abash the Haitian people in the name of a so-called scientific lancet study. Going door to door asking people if anyone was raped is absurd. Did the study elucidate us in understanding that Aristide imported the concept of gangs from the United States and used it for his own good. After all, we never had gangs and the word itself is not French nor creole. Isn’t it pathetic to label Haiti or the Haitian people as violent due to a crisis created by one man (ARISTIDE) – you support the man and you agree with the violence. How odd! Monsieur Elliot, I can see that you enjoy creole expressions. Growing up in Haiti, creole was not a written language, thus I was not educated in creole. But I do speak it as well as French. While Aristide was a great creole communicator, he would not have been able to teach at the University of South Africa if he only spoke creole. As you can see, Aristide who came from the mass, dreamed big. He did not marry someone who came from the mass, his children were entertained by children of the upper Haitian class. Haitians aspire to move upward. This is to say that the Haitian people, I mean the mass needs to be educated and be able to speak French as well since it is the official language of the country. I also notice how blacks in America speaks English differently than white. I also notice that blacks who live in France speak French in the same manner as the French. Promoting creole only without giving the chance for the mass to educate themselves keep them in isolation. A language is a means of communicating, not a luxury. I recall a book I read on President Roosevelt that say “niggers speaking French, we need to stop that” – has anyone read this book, I don’t recall its title. If you want to help Haiti, you will start by understanding the country, its history and its people. Consider that they are human beings just like you with strengths and weaknesses. Everything is possible when there is a will.