30846: From: Raber Re: 30829: (reply) Labrom re 30821 and cellphones (fwd)

From: PM Raber <raber88@zoominternet.net>

When I arrived in Haiti SEVERAL HOURS LATE last month (by a thread considering American Airlines almost stranded us in Miami), I did not connect with those there to pick me up. I was glad to find a young entrepreneur, a free-lancing "red cap" ready to help. My Verizon cell phone was useless in Haiti. While guarding my luggage with a porter outside, he spent the next 15-20 minutes calling every family number I could recall until he hooked me up with my party. At this time, my family member had separated from the "chauffeur" and he then proceeded to call that chauffeur so we could all head out. Soooo. The young man earned himself a nice fat tip that day. Cell phones are great for those young entrepreneurs. My family in Haiti has a free-lancing manicurist (I think she also apply perms and coloring to hair) who comes to the neighborhood compound. As she nears the end of a nail session, she start calling around (while working) for the next customer. It enables her to see a few more customers each day. She actually lives in Fermathe but pays for good schools in Petion-Ville for all of her children. She has immediate access to all her customers. She could work for a pittance at a beauty parlor but she is able to earn dozens of times more by being a free-lancer. I know some people who call ahead to a sidewalk vegetable vendor so that she can prepare their weekly assortment of vegetables. They drive up, hand over money and load the basket. They can recommend their vendor to other customers who can then call that particular marchande as well. It think there is a lot less wasted time and a lot more entrepreneurship in Haiti since Digicel phones entered the market.

What a difference one year makes! Last year, when I visited, I was scared for my life several times. On my way to leave at the airport, we had to detour as there was a major shootout. I could feel the tension and aggressiveness of people during my entire stay. This time, the national stress level was WAY down. Hopefully things keep improving so the economy can follow.

TIPS FOR ALL VISITORS TO HAITI WITH NO CELL PHONE: remember to have with you the cell phone numbers of several people in Haiti. There are young entrepreneurs waiting to help you.