#2986: Wake held for police shooting victim (fwd)

From:nozier@tradewind.net

Wake held for police shooting victim
 Saturday, March 25, 2000  By BETH GARDINER The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Anger and grief mingled as thousands of mourners filed past
the coffin of police shooting victim Patrick Dorismond on Friday, and
some protesters called for Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's resignation over his
controversial response to the death. Family, friends, and supporters
walked past Dorismond's body, which  was dressed in a white suit.
Surrounded by 20 large flower arrangements, many in the shape of crosses
or hearts, the name  "Patrick" was spelled in green and white flowers
above, and a large  wooden crucifix hung nearby. Dorismond was 26.
Sobs drifted through the Andrew Torregrossa and Sons Funeral  Home as
the largely Haitian crowd of more than 2,000 paid their  respects to
Dorismond, son of Andre Dorismond, one of Haiti's most  beloved singers.
Vladimir Rodney, co-chairman of Haitian-American Alliance, said the
family was "weak and broken over this," but had put aside their anger
for a time. "It's a very solemn and mournful moment and we're all just
grieving,"Rodney said.The somber atmosphere changed as the number of
mourners grew,becoming louder and more outspoken with Haitian flags
being  displayed throughout the crowd.Blaise Lambre, another of the
mourners, remembered Dorismond as a boyhood friend and "cool kid" who
made the best of his life. "Picture somebody you grew up with, played in
the same building  with, did everything with," he said. "I'm angry at
the fact that he died.. . . It was wrong. To me, it's murder, simple as
that." Dorismond, who worked as a security guard, was shot in a scuffle
with police in Manhattan last week after an undercover officer
allegedly approached him as part of a drug sting.Giuliani has come under
fire for his release of information from Dorismond's police record,
including sealed juvenile files. Lambre described his friend as "a
person who just enjoyed life," and  he blamed Giuliani for failing to
show sympathy for the family.  The Rev. Al Sharpton and police brutality
victim Abner Louima, who also is Haitian, were among those paying
respects."This has happened too much and it's only happening in our
community. . . . We must ask God to give us strength that in Patrick's
name this can stop," Sharpton said. He led a prayer and spoke directly
with the Dorismond family. "We've come tonight to share your pain but we
commit that we will fight with you until we get justice," he said. "Some
of us were born in  Haiti, some were born in Brooklyn, some in Alabama,
but we are all in the same boat now."  Across the street, about 500
protesters echoed the upset over Giuliani's actions.Giuliani must go"
the crowd shouted as they carried signs with  sayings such as "Justice
for Patrick Dorismond" and "Down with   racism." The protesters spilled
into the street, blocking traffic as they waved  signs and chanted.
Inside the funeral parlor, City Comptroller Alan Hevesi, who is
considering running for mayor, said he had met with the victim's
family."Every decent New Yorker feels most deeply the loss of this
family,"he said. "This is a heartbreaking time."  Norman Seigel,
executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said Giuliani
should have been there, too. "This is a difficult moment for the city.
It's a time for us to reflect, to  pray, to wonder why we're so
divided," Seigel said. "The mayor of the city of New York should be here
tonight."