#3210: Letter to the editor: An addendum

From:Jepiem@aol.com

Chemotherapy, prayer, I do not really know what the solution is. I was just
reading Poincy's comments on the situation where he advocates the return to
some kind of authoritarian rule for Haiti. As much as I am a libertarian
myself, I cannot help but wonder whether he is not actually right. In fact
that has been my conclusion all along on following the gradual deterioration
of everything in Haiti under the so called Democracy. The question is which
Democracy or whose Democracy. A democracy imposed from the outside by foreign
powers who are only guided by their own foreign policy or "National Security"
interest is like a straight jacket under which the country can do nothing but
stagnate. It is an obvious fact that Haiti does  not have anymore the
institutions nor the political will to espouse and guarantee that Democracy.
Just read the reports on the events surrounding the death of Jean Dominique
if you need any reminder. There are many in Haiti that are hoping for an
Occupation believe it or not. These are those that have lost all hope. But we
need all to talk to some of the still living elders who can  tell us what the
Occupation was really like for the common people. Besides, no country
occupies another country for that country's interest for one, and for
another, Haiti is occupied anyway, practically speaking, the rhetoric of the
local politicians notwithstanding. What is the solution for Haiti? Hopeless
if you ask me. Aristide was the hope of the masses, back in 1990. Apparently
he still is for some. However when I look at the goings on and that leaders
involvement in private self profiting businesses in direct competition with
services that ought to benefit the general population, and many other goings
on, I really wonder where one should go to find hope