#3338: Question on herbal medicine -- Corbett begins reply

From:PotteryRN@aol.com

Hi all....

I am wondering if any of you are familiar with a book I could buy or borrow
from a library which is about herbal medicine used in Haiti.  Please help.
Thank you in advance for your help................    MaryEllen

================

MaryEllen, I have the following in my own library.  While I don't lend
books, you might find these in a decent university library:

Reference List

	1. 	Brown, Karen McCarthy. THE POWER TO HEAL:  REFLECTIONS ON
WOMEN, RELIGION, AND MEDICINE. From:  Shaping New Vision:  Gender and
Values in American Culture. 1987.
Note: edited by Clarissa W. Atkinson, Constance H. Buchanan and Margaret
R. Miles.  UMI Research Press, Ann Arbor.

	2. 	Colon, Hernandez. THE TRADITIONAL USE OF MEDICINAL PLANTS
AND HERBS IN THE PROVINCE OF PEDERNALES, SANTO DOMINGO. Ethnomed. 1976;
Vol IV(no 1/2).

	3. 	Denis, Lorimer. MEDICINE POPULAIRE.
Note: in French.

	4. 	Dow, Thomas. PRIMITIVE MEDICINE IN HAITI. Bulletin of the
History of Medicine. 1965; vol 39:34-52.

	5. 	Eeggren, Gretchen Glode et al. TRADITIONAL MIDWIVES,
TETANUS IMMUNIZATION, AND INFANT MORTALITY IN RURAL HAITI. Community
Medicine. 1983 Apr.

	6. 	Farmer, Paul. SENDING SICKNESS:  SORCERY, POLITICS, AND
CHANGING CONCEPTS OF AIDS IN RURAL HAITI. Medical Anthropology Quarterly.
1990 Mar; Vol 4 (new series)(no 1):6-26.

	7. 	Fuller, Robert G. ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE AND AMERICAN
RELIGIOUS LIFE. New York: Oxford University Press; 1989; ISBN: 0-19-505775-9.

	8. 	Jordan, Wilbert C. VOODOO MEDICINE.

	9. 	Kiev, Ari. FOLK PSYCHIATRY IN HAITI.

	10. 	---. RESEARCH AND RESOURCES IN PSYCHIATRY IN HAITI. From
:  The Haitian Potential. 1975.

	11. 	Laguerre, Michel. AFRO-CARIBBEAN FOLK MEDICINE.
Massachusetts: Bergin and Garvey Publisher, INc.; 1987; ISBN: 0-89789-113-9.
Note: This book has several special uses.
	--an interesting set of appendixes which list various remedies
for various illnesses.
	--a long bibliography of related works
	Bob Corbett.  June, 1990.

Riou book (see Bind 4s R) p. 183-187 has a rather unfavorable report on
folk medicine.

	12. 	Metraux, Alfred. MEDICINE ET VODOU EN HAITI. Ethnologie.
1953; Vol X(no 1).
Note: article in French.

	13. 	Mitchell, Faith. HAITI'S BAREFOOT OPHTHALMOLOGISTS.
Grassroots Development. 1985; vol 9( no 1).

I will follow in a separate post a paper by one of my students which
has a couple of more bibliography items at the end.

Bob Corbett