#3368: rambling from Richard Morse in a deteriorating situation in Haiti

From: oloffsonram <oloffsonram@globelsud.net>

I was thinking about the woman whose American son is being harrassed in
Haiti. Did you mention at one point that he was part of a religious
organization? Maybe he's paying for what some of his predesesors did.
Does he where the white short sleeve shirt and the black badge. Perhaps
that might have something to do with the problem. Maybe he's not being
seen as an individual, but as part of an organization.
Things, however, do seem to be deteriorating in the "Pearl of the
Antillies". Instead of the usual spot roadblocks, the police are now
randomly searching pedestrians, frisking people with baggy shirts and
checking handbags throughout Port-au-Prince. I understand the logic,
but I guess there isn't an ACLU down here.The tension is mounting.
There is daily talk of different people who have been assasinated. One
man shot his four young children, his wife and them himself. The gossip
is that he had financial problems. Reading the press, the boat people
phenomenon has once again started up. Some are captured, some are
drowned. The ones who go through undetected slip into Miami and try and
start a new life. Its worth it. For those of you who aren't up on the
lingo, "boatpeople" are Haitian and dark and the "rafters" are usually
Cuban and light-skinned.
I thought all along that the priorities of the concerned governments in
Haiti should have been economic but I was told that we couldn't get the
economy in shape until a political and judicial infrastructure was in
place. Well now that we have some evidence that politics and justice in
Haiti are going down the tubes, whats the next step? The necessary
infrastructure to put a brake on this
social/economic/political/environmental freefall will have to be so
enourmous, I'm wondering whose going to want to take that risk? Who can
be trusted to hold up their end of a bargain? The next Haiti chapter is
probably going to get very machiavellan. Not so much, "what do you
think?" but more like "here's the reality".
I spent Easter weekend at a fairly secluded beach on the southern
Haitian coast and eventually a small crowd gathered around, staring,
wondering if it was really RAM. I broke the silence and we started
chatting a bit. Eventually a few of them starting telling me their boat
stories. One had been to Guantanamo and a couple of others had actually
seen the Miami shoreline before being captured and repatriated. They
were just waiting for their next chance. No regrets. One of them said
something fairly interesting. They had learned on the radio how to say
they were "looking for work" in English (No conspiracy theories
please). I told them that that sentence immediately classified them as
economic refugees, which is probably why they were sent back. They
silently looked at me in response.

Richard Morse