#3453: Aristide and violence: Knowles comments

From: Phil Knowles <Phildk@prodigy.net>

I was there for two busy weeks in January 1995.  Bangladesh soldiers were
far more conspicuous than Americans. They were very sharp looking, by the
way, and very professional in bearing.   My group interviewed officials from
what was called OAS/UN  -  they were not Americans. Yes, it was American
inspired and led, but I resent "dress up" - that's unnecessary and less than
helpful.  In fact, about 20,000 Americans came in September; by January the
count was around 6,000.

I agree the word "invasion" is misleading, as it conjures up visions of war
in the Pacific, D-Day, etc. against a totally hostile enemy. That's why
"Intervention" feels like a more appropriate word.  But semantics is not as
important as facts.

Phil Knowles