#3566: A reply to Settle

From:Moibibi@aol.com

Jackie,

I was glad to read your post and to see that some Mambos or Hougans do put
some restrictions to the general laws of hospitality.

I spend about one third of my time in Haiti and each time I hear the
complains of many of my colleagues about foreigners and some well to-do
Haitians alike, who invade their places. They all expect to be served drinks
and food and do not participate to the cost of the ceremonies.

Useless to say that I am the first one to tell them: "pa palé, mandé yo you
ti tchotcho, ou konnen blan sé kokoyé" (Stop complaining, make them pay since
they don't understand).

Foreigners often disturb the ceremonies, take million pictures, put their
microphones under the mouth of the Houngenikon (the lead singer) and if they
decide to film, make everybody agonize under the heat of the projectors in a
little crowded place.

Money is rarely their concern, they say things such as : We will make you
famous! Nobody is paid for our services, etc... Finally, they are the only
ones to profit when they sell their pictures or films without release,
knowing perfectly well that the poor people of Haiti have no recourse against
them.

Neo colonialism takes many different forms.

Bébé Pierre Louis