#3592: The Role of the Sanpwel (fwd)

From:Racine125@aol.com

Sanpwel is not a Vodou religious phenomenon, it is a secular organization
affiliated with Vodou, much as the Knights of Colombus are affiliated with
the Roman Catholic Church.  The confusion between Sanpwel and Vodou is
compounded by the fact that
high-ranking Houngans and Mambos are often high-ranking Sanpwel members.

The Sanpwel functions as a law-enforcement agency, and takes sanctions
against people who violate one or more of the "Seven Conditions". These
violations include disrespect of parents or siblings, slander which deprives
someone of their livelihood, "stealing" a woman (?), speaking ill of the
Sanpwel, and other offenses.

Sanctions range from a kou le (French - coup l'aire) which induces a mild
illness,
to zombification.Parents often frighten misbehaving children with stories
about the
Sanpwel, but actually no sanctions are ever undertaken without a meeting of
the
higher-ranking society members and usually members of the offender's family.
It is not an arbitrary and unfair exercise of authority. Now, having said
that, I should note that the Sanpwel societies, like some Houngans and
Mambos, were in some measure corrupted during the Duvalierist regimes.

It is difficult for me to say more, because as a member of the Sanpwel I am
sworn to
secrecy on certain topics, but I have said some of what I am free to say, and
I hope
it will shed some light.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra",
     Good is rare - Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html";>http://
members.aol.com/racine125/index.html</A>