#3648: the ethics of adoption : A reply

From:LOUIS5@aol.com

Dear Alex:

"GIVE HIM TO THIS STRANGER"

                                                          (REFLECTION)

By Haitian Storyteller Liliane Nerette Louis,

CO Founder of Women Writers of Haitian Descent (WWOHD)

Author of When Night Falls, Kric! Krac!

As a mother, everything in my life has been in relation to what I considered
to be the best for my children.  I have gotten higher education for myself in
order to serve them better.  They have grown to be educated responsible
adults themselves but I still see them as my babies.  I am very happy for
their simple acts of affection toward me although more then once I have had
to give them to a stranger.

"Give him to this stranger."  This stranger comes in different forms and
contexts; it may be a country far away, it may be the significant other in
their lives or an idea, or the pursuit of their dreams.
Have you ever thought how unselfish is the love of a mother for her child?
Are not mothers constantly representing the women in the sacred book of the
Bible?  How often do we hear mothers expressing great enthusiasm about the
adult child they have not seen for long period of time?  To understand
mothers, one can only rely on the most poignant and comprehensible instinct
of mothers revealed in these simple words: "Give him to this stranger." The
real mother is incontestable.

Now that mother's day is here, and with the memory of my own mother who was
my "bobori," my "doukounou," my "akasan ak siwo, I know for a fact that many
mothers are reflecting on what they have done for their children and wish
they could have done more.  From a mother's perspective, it is never "what
can my child do for me?"  Instead, it is a mother's hope that she has
contributed to a better world by raising children who can become responsible
adults to society, tasting the fruit of happiness.

The message I want to give to young people is that the unselfish love of a
mother is forever.  As long as my child can survive and flourish:  "Give him
to this stranger."

Therefore, cherish that mother everyday, for long after she is gone she will
forever be the most precious gift of your life.