#3723: The language discussion (fwd)

From: J. David Lyall <david@lyalls.net>

This debate on proper spellings seems to be 20 years old, correct?
This year on my spring visit to Hayti ( I love the original spelling of
Toussaint,
Dessalines, Christophe and Petion ) I happened to do a little
socializing
with some aid types. My first time.

I was told by one worker for the education minister that that selfsame
education minister does not agree with the "english" spelling system
which is official. Francophone contract workers frequently do not
like, or agree with the system apparently.

I would presume that this attitude and opinion would color the
presentation of methods for kreyol instruction.

Also,
I must second Guys incredulity at the recieved spelling of 'Yon' as
"Youn"
This doesn't make any sense at all, and frankly, I did not believe it
until
I opened up my pocket "haitian creole ( sik) - english" dictionary.