#3979: Mike Norton? Carey comments

From: Henry F. Chip Carey <polhfc@langate.gsu.edu>

I was an OAS election observer and saw Michael Norton reporting diligently at the Delmas BEC, which was in a state of chaos when he arrived.  I do not see any reason why anyone can reach any definite conclusions one way or the other about the Haitian elections until it is determined: a) whether the tally sheets were lost and b) whether the alleged police arrests  actually occurred.  Having seen most post-dechoucaj, Haitian elections personnally, it is clear now only that this was the best one, but also still had serious shortcomings, many owing to the lack of planning attributable to deliberate efforts to delay the elections (ironically unnecessary.)
Chip Carey