#4060: Lynn Garrison: Chamberlain replies to Pina (fwd)

From:DelRauth@aol.com

Yes, Greg, reporters do need stimulation and encouragement but I do believe
that Norton and Bauduy, relative to their reporting of the recent elections
of May 21, need much more.  I'll try to be nice in my response by saying that
they really need contact with the Haitian people, the real Haitian people,
the people in the street who struggle each day to find a way to exist.  They
need a sense of compassion, they need to understand the spirituality of the
Haitian people, they need to get out of their luxury hotels like the Holiday
Inn and the Olaffson and the Villa Creole and other places and take a trip to
the rural regions of Hinche, Dechapelles, Verrette and Fondwa, Gros Morne and
especially Cite Soleil and St. Joseph's Market downtown Port-au-Prince.  They
need to visit with missionaries who have spent years of their lives among the
Haitian people, struggling themselves to find ways to give the people hope to
live.

I recently took Norton to task by way of corresponding with Dan Perry, Bureau
Chief for AP in Puerto Rico and I did get a response.  It was not
satisfactory and I think Dan Perry also could use a dose of what I suggested
as medicine above.  This medicine could ultimately help in removing the bias,
the prejudice, the slanting, the non-objective reporting which relies on
single incidents to make broad generalizations across the whole nation.

The next time I go to Haiti perhaps I will try to visit with Michael Norton
and explain to him face to face my deep feelings about the reporting that has
been done so far that has done so much harm in giving the people in the U.S.
the wrong impression of the people of Haiti and their true struggle for
democracy.

During my recent visit, as part of the International Coalition  of
Independent Observers, composed of members from Global Exchange, Quixote
Center, Pax Christi USA the Catholic Diocese of Richmond, we visited
approximately 122 polling stations on May 21st. and none of what I saw
matched what was reported in the AP press by Norton and Bauduy.  Indeed I
believe Haiti can recover from its intolerable living conditions if we, the
people in the U.S., are willing to truly listen to the people of Haiti and to
honestly become committed to wanting to help them.

Peace - Bob DellaValle-Rauth
Consultant - PCUSA Haiti Task Force
Coordinator of Pax Christi VA