#4295: Computers, Ballard replies to Harvey (fwd)

From: Linda Ballard <linda.ballard@hci.utah.edu>

No, Sean, on this one I think Poincy is right on target.  A strong math
background is necessary in order to make sophisticated computer use a
reality.  Otherwise it is merely a tool like a shovel--something you buy and
use for your job.  And on top of that, the valuable computer programmers
have broad background in whatever it is they are programming.  I too consult
for a software company in my field (genetics).  Our CEO constantly laments
that the programmers he hires can't even spell DNA.

Linda

Linda Wood Ballard
Genomics Core Facility
4A 430A School of Medicine