#4495: Re. comment from Mambo Racine #4417 : Graves comments

From: archim <archim@globelsud.net>

         I'm a bit behind in some comments because I was out of Haiti for
     two weeks (In Cape May, NJ, Bob Morse!), and then returned to downed
     telephone lines and no e-mail connection. (Kevin, can I come over and
     hook-up?)
         However, I do wish to comment on the use of the term "blanc" in
     Haiti. Yes, the word does literally mean "white", but it is not used
     in that manner in Haiti, and I am surprised that several
     Haitian-connection writers don't appear to know that. "Blanc", to the
     Haitian, is used to denote foreigner, in most cases. Lots of black and
     yellow and brown folks are referred to as "blancs" in Haiti, and that
     has no racist intention whatsoever. Please don't be offended Mambo
     Racine...or anyone else for that matter.
        When the US military contingent was in Haiti there were many, many
     black Haitian/Americans as part of their group. When those who wanted
     them to go rallied against them, the watchword was "an ba, blan" (get
     out, foreigner), and that was odd because most of them were not
     "blancs".  +AM/FM