#4551: Blind Faith:CARICOM and Morse (fwd)

From: oloffsonram <oloffsonram@globelsud.net>

Noting that CARICOM has decided to back the Haitian government's
handling of the elections, I'm wondering what their views are on
certain subjects such as the apparent use of the National Police to
support certain political parties. I'm also wondering how CARICOM will
respond to the campaign season in which opposition members were killed
or intimidated into not campaigning (while the police looked on).
Perhaps the fact that an economic/social disaster in Haiti will have no
direct effect on island-nations such as Saint Lucia has given the
former St Lucian Prime Minister a special vantage point as to whats
going on in Haiti. Perhaps in the coming days he will share some of his
inside information with the rest of us. Backing the Haitian government
is one thing but not stating the positives AND the negatives is
another. Observers should be unbiased in the presentation of their
reports. In other words "Credibility". Tell us what worked and what
didn't work and what steps are being taken to correct current flaws in
the system. Don't just tell us you went to the palace and Tabarre and
you support whats going on. Those days should be over by now.

Richard Morse