#4651: COHA press release: Chamberlain comments (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

(...)

> (By Reed Lindsay and Zsombor Peter, Research Associates)

> The Council on Hemispheric Affairs, founded in 1975,
> is an independent, non-partisan and tax exempt research
> and information organization. It has been described on
> the floor of the Senate as being "one of the nation?s most
> respected bodies of scholars and policy makers."

Well, you could've fooled me, and I'm sure many others.
This kind of partisan rant, replete with all the politically-
correct language and failure to mention
the startling account the CEP president gave of the
government pressures on him is a sad commentary
on what has been a respected body in the past.
I can't think this "analysis" will persuade anyone.
The authors badly need to take a short course in
basic psychology.

The passage below is all the evidence one needs
that the authors understand nothing about small
countries struggling with poverty and institution-
building, and certainly nothing about the present
situation in Haiti.

> Under the Haitian constitution, the CEP is an
> entirely independent agency and the executive
> branch, even if it was anxious to do so, could not
> interfere with its operations.

And this:

> ...the opposition, splintered into more than sixty
> political parties, has a miniscule number of
> followers many of them who supported the
> military junta and have taken bribes from various
> sources and...

I have seen a figure of 1.2 million people who
voted for the non-Lavalas parties.

John, I hope you didn't brief these guys.  If so,
you should be ashamed of yourself!

Poor Haiti.  With guys like these posing as its "friends"...

        Greg Chamberlain