5940: Matilda White - RE: 5915, 5914, 5901 ---and too many others , (fwd)

From: archim <archim@globelsud.net>

     This is about Haiti, so keep reading.....

        When I was a young junior high school chap of 14 or 15 years, I
     attended Wagner Junior High in Philadelphia. One of my teachers, and
     everyone's favorite, was Miss Matilda White, who was black! One of my
     classmates in Miss White's class was John Black (now an Orthodox
     Priest in Mexico) who was/is white. It was a fun class and Miss White
     (who was black) did all kinds of activities with us, even taking us on
     a class tour of Independence Hall; the Betsy Ross House; the Franklin
     Museum...and we even got to touch the Liberty Bell! We loved Miss
     White, who was black.
        At that time, my grandmother lived in Cape May, New Jersey and my
     family had a summer home there. I spent every summer in Cape May at
     the beach. Long ago (actually not THAT long ago!), Cape May was a very
     segregated place. There was a beach for blacks; a first-aid station
     for blacks; a black waiting room in the train station; black churches;
     black schools, and even a black taxi service. (List member Richard
     Morse will know this is true!)
        Well anyway, Miss White (who was black) also summered in Cape May
     and we always used to meet on the part of the boardwalk in front of
     the black beach because black folk were not welcome on the rest of the
     boardwalk or beaches, but white folk like me could go in the black
     areas if they wished. Blacks were also prohibited from walking on the
     boardwalk after 6:00pm!
        One summer,  my classmate, John Black (who was white!) came from
     Philadelphia to spend a week with us at our summer home. We decided to
     go to visit with Miss White (who was black) on the black part of the
     boardwalk, even though we were white. It was a funny experience: there
     we were, two white boys sitting on the black part of the boardwalk
     with a black woman who was called Miss White.
        Now what's this got to do  with Haiti? Well actually it has a lot
     to do with Haiti because had these experiences taken place in Haiti
     they would have gone un-noticed. First of all there are no "black
     boardwalks" or "black schools" or "black waiting rooms" or "black
     churches" or "black taxi services" in Haiti. There is no segregation in
     Haiti on the part of the Haitian people regarding race. Haiti is a
     black republic...the first one in the western hemisphere, and the only
     segregation I have ever witnessed here (and I've lived here for almost
     15 years) has come from the rich toward the poor...the majority of the
     population.
        If Miss White had lived in Haiti she would have been known as "Miss
     Blan" (even though she was in no way a "blan") because that would be
     the translation for White. And had John Black lived in Haiti, he would
     have been called "Jean Nwa", because that would be the Haitian Kreyol
     translation for his name.
        But Miss White would never have been callad "A BLAN" because she
     was not one. As a matter of fact, they probably would have called her
     "Miss Mathilde" in order to avoid any misunderstanding.
        John Black would never have been called "a blan" because he was not
     one either. Yes, he was a white fellow, but he was NOT a "blan". A
     "blan" in Haiti is someone who is not a part of the people; someone who
     is profitting from the poverty or suffering which exists here; someone
     who is taking away from Haiti in order to profit elsewhere. People have
     been doing that for years: coming to Haiti and abusing the people and
     the country in order to make lots of money elsewhere. Those persons are
     "blans". Joe Smith from Central City who comes to Haiti and buys art
     work for a pittance and takes it back to sell for 500% more than was
     paid, is a "blan"...even if Joe Smith is white or Chinese! Jemmima
     Johnson from Bumpus Cove, Virginia who comes to Haiti to buy hand-made
     wooden artifacts for next to nothing and takes them back to sell for a
     fortune, is a "blan", even though she might be black. Nigahoochi
     Atsamari from Japan, who comes to Haiti to buy soy bean oil for 50
     cents a drum and sends it back to Yokahama where it is sold for $500.00
     a drum, is a "blan" even though she (or he...I'm not too sure if
     "Nigahoochi"is a masculine or feminine name!) is Japanese.
        Yes, anyone can be "a blan" in Haiti if he or she does not wish to
     be at one with the people. It matters not if one is white or black or
     yellow or brown. "Blan" does not refer to color; it refers to one who
     is an outsider.
        Our "peace and love" list member, Mambo Racine, appears to have had
     a terribly unpleasant experience a few weeks ago in a cemetery in
     Haiti while attempting to conduct some Voodoo ceremonies. I'm really
     sorry for that. She was called a "blan" and refuses to understand that
     the name does not imply any racist slur. Mambo Racine (who is white
     and from Boston) was obviously in a curious situation here in Haiti
     because most mambos are black, as is the case with most followers of
     Voodoo. People who saw her doing her "thing" were obviously
     bewildered. Here was a white mambo with white initiates doing what
     most observers here would have expected to be done by blacks.
     Additionally, those white folks were all foreigners, so the people
     were really confused. Here were some "blans" doing what is usually
     done by Haitians. Had they all been black folks from Boston, they
     STILL would have been called "blans" because they were from elsewhere.
        Because of this unpleasant experience, Mambo Racine decided that it
     was all the fault of Family Lavalas and Aristide. I doubt that
     Aristide even knows who the perpetrators of the incident were, and
     they probably were not even associated with Lavalas; but we can't
     convince our "peace and love" mambo of that. She has decided to attack
     Aristide no matter what, and that surely does not appear to me to be
     the action of a "peace and love" advocate. Peace...and love cannot
     exist in an atmosphere of disunity, and the accusations being made by
     Mambo Racine appear to me as attempts to sow discord and disunity.
        Peace, dear Mambo Racine, will come to Haiti when Haitians unite in
     a spirit of love for one another and for their country. Peace will come
     when the advocates of disunity realize that strength and development
     can only come when people are united in love. And love can be attained
     ONLY when pride and greed and jealousy are overcome.
        I'm not a "blan" even though I'm white and originally from New
     Jersey. If I was a "blan" I would not have been able to accomplish
     anything in Haiti as a clergyman. Miss White (who was black...and not
     a "blan") was my example. Would that all persons coming to Haiti could
     have such a wonderful example.
       REAL peace and REAL love be with you all.
                                     +AM/FM