6010: Re: 5989: Will Ayiti find true friends up north - finally? (Saint-Vil) (fwd)

From: Martine Jean <alix3@hotmail.com>

"both Bush and Gore should call Titid, Jean Chrétien, Jacques
>Chirac and all the other neo-colonial leaders should call Aristide and
>concede their defeat."

I do hope you're being ironic and that you don't believe that the
international community will gently concede their defeat.

That is one thing everyone should learn from Haitian politics and its
manipulation by the international community for the past fifteen years.

The international community with the United States in the lead will never
give up its destructive grasp on Haiti. While Haiti is finally making
efforts toward establishing a democratic system and realizing its first free
elections as a state, the International Community obssessively opposed these
efforts, denying their legitimacy and thrashing everything the current
government does to assure a democratic transition in Haiti.

the current situation is sad. It is sad not because Haiti has had the
courage despite many obstacles to pursue with the democratic process but
because no matter what, the enemies of Haiti who rule the OAS and the UN
(another name for the US) are in definite positions of power with regard to
Haiti. They control the international press and are doing a good job at
portraying the elections in Haiti as taking place in a climate of violence,
and chaos. Worse of all, listening to them not even 10% of the voting
population would have made it to the voting poles on Sunday!

Now that they don't have the army to do the job quickly, rallying public
opinions on their side by bluntly lying is a very good and potentially very
productive tactic to destroy the democratic process in Haiti.

That's just the beginning. Economic sanctions are to follow and even though
we would like to say, "We don't care!" we are not in a position to do so.
The impacts of these sanctions will paralyze the new government and cause
social unrests and the decay of Aristide's popularity and the lavalas
movement if they can't cope with the situation.

If Haiti with Aristide as its new president want to make it in the next four
years and beyond, they'd better not underestimate the power, resistance and
patience of the enemies of Haiti and prepare themselves for the worse. that
may be our only chance for survival.

"lage aveti pa touye kokobe"

Martine