6085: what's the difference between Aristide and his detractors? Corbett adds

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@hypatia.unh.edu>

Group:  is this is a good time for us to ask, "what is the difference
between Aristide and his detractors?".  nothing on the list recently has
described anything other than that political strife in Haiti is based on
whether or not people like each other well enough to support them, or
dislike each other well enough to dispose of them.

what, in fact are the differences among the goals and objectives of
various factions and their established positions on environmental,
economic, civic, etc. issues?  are there some we should learn more
about? debate? support? oppose?  should this list invite Haitian leaders
to post their positions and proposals here for us to consider?

Haiti is no bigger than a typical New England state, albeit densely
populated, yet its factions behave as if a whole subcontinent is at
stake.  to me, it seems the country is politically dominated by a bunch
of adolescent smart-alecks fighting up in their treehouse, far removed
from the real neighborhood down below.

respects and appreciation to you,

Stuart Leiderman

Corbett adds:  I'm like Stuart in that I wonder about what different
policies and plans would likely be pursued by different factions.
However, I also wonder if Haiti is even in a state where policies
and plans are part of anyone's political agenda, or is the issue
just getting power for its own sake?

Outside Haiti, in my own nation (US) and other nations, I have
come to be terribly cynical about politicians making political
promises and having programs and platform, yet despite a serious
level of disappointment, one can still tend to recognize a genuine
difference between learder A and leader B.

Again, is the political climate in Haiti such that this is so
at all in today's world of Haitian politics?

Bob Corbett