6456: Re: Re: Simplification of history, etc. (fwd)

From: mark gill <doctorgill@clas.net>

> I want to know if it's safe to say that the U.S., while certainly not
> monolithic, is hostile to JBA in its foreign policy? *************what IS
his foreign policy?  most rarely concern themselves with "Haitian foreign
policy" in that  regardless of what it is, it has no real impact anywhere in
the world...............................
And that when actions
> by the U.S. seem partly out of sync with this antipathy, the actors (i.e.
> Clinton) time their actions so as to benefit Aristide and his supporters
as
> little as possible, backhandedly furthering the same old ends of corporate
> America?*********what in the world does this mean?  are you saying that US
policy is, in any way, determined by how it will effect Haiti?  could you
please explain this to me?  you are implying that US policy is somehow
related to either helping or hurting Haiti............where did you get this
idea?

> Is it not true that the U.S., and especially the CIA, supported FRAPH as
an
> "alternative" to Aristide?********the CIA gets its political direction
from "above"........in that it is supposed to be an "independent agency",
which means it is not responsible to a Secretary of a Department, such as
State or Defense.........there has been an on-going battle as to how the CIA
can be held accountable............the idea that US policy was to have the
CIA used to "provide" an alternative to Aristide thru FRAPH is the talk of
silly journalists (this includes almost all that we hear of).

> And is it not also true that after Constant and FRAPH revealed their
intent
> as violent and hostile, the U.S. still opposes any and all alternatives to
> JBA, including the remnants of FRAPH et al? I mean, I read the stories
> based on press releases from the U.S. state department and other agencies.
> I see that every government spokesperson who actually speaks out vilifies
> JBA as a dictator and a madman (except Clinton, who sounds very bland in
> both versions I've read of his letter to JBA -- will the real letter
please
> stand up?). And who is speaking up in JBA's favor************come
on!!................you say that the US is opposed to Aristide, even to
using the CIA to control FRAPH, and in this paragraph, you say the US is
"opposes any and all alternatives to JBA"........this is completely
contradictory................

> The stance in U.S. government press releases consistently clings to the
> extreme right-wing of Haiti's factions, whether they're talking about
JBA's
> motives and character, the estimated voter turnout, the role of
> multinational corporations in Haiti, the legitimacy of the May elections,
> the legitimacy of the 1997 elections, etc. etc. etc. The American
> government is (almost) always to be found on the hard
right,**************but, you have had 8 years of Clinton, who is a
Leftist.........i mean, what do you want?  ..........
> anti-Aristide, even in light of the behavior of our favored "alternatives"
> in the wake of our support. Can we validly observe, at least, that the
U.S.
> pursues a consistent and deliberate foreign policy in favor of whatever
> factions will support the interests of American-based corporations, with
> less regard to what benefits the economic well-being of the vast majority
> of Haitians, and with no regard to which leaders the Haitians themselves
> have democratically chosen?********gosh and gosh and gee
whiz..............you want all things to change just because Aristide was
chosen "freely and in democratic fashion"?  you want the windmill of Don
Quixote to slow down a tad?   hmmmm.........US policy should suddenly
change, and move away from "US strategic interests", and somehow, this will
change the plight of the life of the "average Haitian"..........??  are you

My God........all things depend on the US?

Mark Gill