6499: Soup jamou

>From Bruce Wharram

>From The (Toledo) Blade "Peach" Tuesday December 26, 2000 by Craig La Ban,
Philadelphia Inquirer:
    "Squash: It's everywhere in Winter - ..... Undoubtedly my favorite
destination for squash - especially the sweet ones - is the soup pot.  My
experience with the daunting hubbard was to see it simmered and blended
into sunny Soup Creole, a Haitian specialty also known as 'la soupe
jaumon.'  Filled with vegetables and mutton meat and the burn of at least
one bobbing habanero pepper, it is a rustic and flavorful tradition for
New Year's Day, a colorful offering to celebrate that country's
independence.
    While this Haitian squash stew can be an elaborate undertaking, it has
served as inspiration for some simpler and quicker renditions using the
more manageable butternut, with or without meat, dosing up or turning down
the heat.  Most squash soup recipes call for squash to be roasted first, a
simple procedure that seems to bring out some extra natural sweetness.
    On the other hand, I have had equal luck with the simple peel-and-boil
method.  It saves about 30 minutes, and allows the flesh of the squash to
become better infused with the flavor of good stock as it cooks.  For a
Caribbean accent, I add a stalk of lemongrass, a knob of ginger, and a
pinch of cayenne and allspice.  I tasted a similar version of butternut
soup at Bistro St. Tropez recently and it was delicious, with a perfect
balance of richness and ginger tingle and a silty pureed broth that coated
my lips with a thin film of orange squash."
Gingered Butternut Squash Soup with Lemongrass:
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 stalk lemongrass, top trimmed, bottom stripped of dry husk, and cut in
half
1 knob (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and cut in half
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon allspice
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Sugar, to taste
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
2 scallions, green part only, cut into rings for garnish
    In a soup pot, place 5 cups broth and bring to a boil.  Add squash,
lemongrass, and ginger and cook until squash is very tender, 20 to 25
minutes.  Remove lemongrass and ginger.  Using a hand blender or food
processor, puree squash and broth for several minutes until completely
incorporated.  Heat remaining stock and add to squash puree until it
reaches desired consistency.
    Season to taste with cayene, allspice, salt, pepper, and sugar.  It
should not be overly sweet, but should have a nice round, savory flavor,
with a tingle of spice.  Soup can be prepared ahead of time to this point
and reserved up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
    Reheat shortly before serving.  Add cream and butter and bring to a
low boil.  Lower heat to medium and let soup thicken and simmer for 2 to 3
minutes.  Spoon into bowls, garnish with scallions, and serve.
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings
    Source:  The Herbform Cookbook, by Jerry Traunfeld

    Our local paper "The Blade" usually carries very little of anything
regarding Haiti, so this caught my eye.
    I hope everyone on the Corbett list has a happy and prosperous New
Year.

Bruce Wharram