6542: Laleau to Morse (fwd)

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Richard,

If I didn't know you personally I would have a hard time figuring out your
last post. Even knowing you, it's still hard to figure out, except for the
drums, and the great quote from your mom -- "My mom tells me I have as many
rights as anyone else in Haiti. Now   there's a statement for you, "rights in
Haiti"! "

It is indeed hard for people in the US and abroad to figure out things in
Haiti... usually they have seen things in clearly drawn lines of right and
wrong, black and white, and things are not at all that clear. The military
officer whose uniform people are afraid of can often be the very person
sending warning messages for people "on a death list" to get out of town...
your "friends" are often the very ones who stab you in the back... etc., etc.
When people are desperate they join any palace band they can find.

There's a phrase in scripture on how to decipher all this -- "By their fruits
shall you know them." Part of the problem with Haiti is that it's often hard
to tell which fruits are falling from which trees. The flawed judicial system
and the informal system of communication make it very easy to hide some
facts, for a while, but I think that ultimately there will be a day of
reckoning, when (being biblical again) "the wheat will be seprated from the
chaff." That will be a hard day.

Sincerely,
Nancy Laleau