6625: Haitian debt (fwd)

From: RMSJRS@aol.com

In his introduction to "Investing in People", the white paper of Fanmi
Lavalas,dated spring 2000, Aristide wrote,

"Haiti's external debt ... estimated at 1.1 billion dollars.... weighs
heavily on the pace of development."

Since that time the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund forgave
the debt of a number of third world countries in Africa and Central America.
I do not remember any mention of Haitian debt being forgiven. Can anyone on
this list provide information on the current status of Haitian financial debt
and to whom it is owed?

I joined this list recently so please forgive me if this matter has been
discussed before.

Jack Schieber