6716: Re: 6631: Stressed families struggle to relate (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>....said Marcelin, who with her husband, Louis, a UM sociologist
and anthropologist, is researching drug use and gang activity among
Haitian youths. ``Parenting in Haiti and parenting here is not the same...

Boy howdy, is that ever the truth!  I just returned from spending time with
a couple of our kids in Haiti -- 3 and 4 years old -- and was it ever a
thrill ride.  I kept the kids with me for several days and I'm still not
sure if they adore me because of genuine feelings toward me or because I
don't spank and yell.  The minute they are left in my care and the Haitian
women are out of range, they go wild.  They run and dance and make a huge
rucus.  They climb on me and kiss me and laugh for hours.  And they don't
listen to a single thing I say because I won't yell and make an evil face.
And when I got desperate and tapped the 4 year old on the butt, he just fell
back on the bed, slapping his thighs and said, "Woy!  Kawolin, ou fE m ri
twOp!" and off they went again.  It was a regular circus, and I love them so
much I really didn't mind even though they were wild and crazy.  The hugs
and kisses and long conversations were worth it all.  But it does raise the
question as to how a person coming to the U.S. from Haitian culture would
make that change in parenting, especially if the child is older, like early
teens.  I see in my own experience that these children are so conditioned to
yelling and spanking (*hard* spankings) that they really don't respond to
anything else.  This problem is a real challenge.   It makes me wonder how
we can resolve our cultural differences and how far we have a right to go in
dictating to Haitian-Americans as to how they can and can not parent their
own children.  I remember my husband telling how he once saw a Haitian woman
and her teenage daughter getting off the plane in Port-au-Prince.  The
minute they passed immigration the woman started thrashing the girl and
saying, "call the police NOW...  call social services NOW..." and the people
all laughed heartily.  There's a story in that, I bet.  Then there's the
bank account.  The Haitian-American teenager gets $50 US deposited in
his/her name each time they act out. When there's enough money in there to
buy a ticket to Port-au-Prince, they are off for 6 months with grandma and
grandpa so far in the mountains you never see electric light.  The second
time it's a year. The third time, they have to get back to the states on
their own.

C. Henrius