6784: Re: 6781: Re: 6760: Subj: 6747 Haitian Army, Dorce to JAAllen , (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>That includes elites and those in the middle class who aspire to be
>elite.  If a person sees himself as apart and superior from the peasant
>class,..... <Kathy>

It's interesting to note how entrenched this stratification of classes is in
Haitian society.  Before I had spent much time, or actually lived in Haiti,
I assumed that seeing oneself as "superior" to the lower classes was
particular to upper class Haitians; as though there were only two classes, a
filthy rich, arrogant and oppressive upper class, and a united mass of poor,
hard-working Haitians.  Not so.  Although I have seen evidence of this in
many different situations, I'll give one example for brevity's sake.

When I have business in Port-au-Prince, I often stay with some very good
friends of ours -- a family of previously poor Haitians who are now afforded
a roomy (by Haitian standards) home and $50 US a month from a son in the
United States.  They are not "rich" but are higher in the pecking order than
they used to be, and now have 3 domestic employees; a lady who washes
clothes, a cook, and a yard man.  They pay them each about $100 H a month
and, although they are nice to them in some ways, it is quite obvious that
they consider themselves above these workers.  They will yell at them for
the most minute error, make them do over work that could easily have been
fixed or overlooked, call across the yard for a busy worker to drop what
they're doing and come bring them something that is just a few feet from the
chair where they are relaxing, and in general remind these workers (and
themselves) of their status several times a day.  And, although I have not
visited these particular worker's homes, I would guess from my own
experience in the homes of people very much like them, that they in turn
will act the same way towards anyone in the social class beneath them.

Although this phenomenon is not particular to Haitian culture, it is a part
of Haitian life that saddens me because I believe it is a huge roadblock to
solidarity and unity among the working classes. And, until it is overcome, I
don't see how the people are ever going to put their heads together to
empower themselves to make a real change in Haiti.  I do see that rich upper
class in general as more separate and a heck of a lot more powerful (and
oppressive), but the working class has a huge advantage in numbers.  Problem
is, they don't see it, and I believe one of the main reasons is because they
are so busy struggling between themselves.

C. Henrius