6832: Re: 6827: Safety & req. Travel in Haiti (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>From: Anez14u@aol.com
>
>I have a rather large group of healthcare workers who are scheduled to
>travel
>to the LaCroix/Gonaives area ...

I just returned from Haiti last week and I felt the atmosphere was pretty
calm.  I took in a Sunday night downtown for Carnival and found  most
everybody friendly and accepting of my presence there.  I ran around
Port-au-Prince most every day, on taptaps and taxis and had no trouble.  A
friend of mine had a close call coming back into Port-au-Prince on a bus
from the Artibonite where a gang of zenglendos robbed the two buses in front
of her, roughed up some people and mistreated some children but nobody was
killed.  I had considered going with her and would have been on that bus if
the situation hadn't changed, and that scared me, thinking what might have
happened if the robbers would have seen a white woman in there.

In general I found the atmosphere of the people pretty calm.  But I would
stay away from City Soleil and try to take your own transport from PAP to
Gonaive.  Other than that, I am not at all nervous about going back next
month.

Bon Vwayaj,

C. Henrius