7557: Re: 7516: Re: 7510: Re: 7466: Justice: Wilentz replies (fwd)

From: JRAuguste1@aol.com

Why don't you lead us down this mentioned path of defining and making
democracy culture-specific P D Bellegarde-Smith. Give us a hint as to what
you see when you think democracy and Haiti in the same thought.

I am for keeping the definition and application of democracy constant
wherever it should apply particularly when it comes to Haiti where everything
seems to be "miraged" and diluted.

For instance Haitians speak of Haitian dollar when in fact the Haitian
Constitution's Article 6 indicates "L'unite Monetaire est: La Gourde. Elle
est divisee en: Centimes". There is no Haitian monetary unit printed with the
word "dollar" on it (front or back) and yet all you hear is "$ US" and
"1.00H". I find that very confusing if not outright misleading and
collectively dishonest.

The same will apply to democracy once one starts defining it within a
culture-specific context. In that case why not come up with a term to define
exactly what you mean instead of capriciously bending and re-inventing the
definition of a known universal concept such as democracy.

You start on that slippery slope and next thing you know any beloved
hypothetical leader can stump on your derriere whenever you critique his/her
program while telling you with great fanfare "Hey this is our
culture-specific democracy at work. Shut up." Not to mention the excited and
exalted followers who, for example, can, with impunity, put your home under
siege, throw fire bombs at your occupied dwelling, all under the watchful eye
of the local police.

Could that possibly be some culture-specific democracy at work?

J-R. B. Auguste