7706: RE: 7693: Port-au-Prince graffiti (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

So P-a-P is becoming graffiti-ed, dusty, etc. Isn't that how the poor have
always lived? So, maybe this is evening things out--the rich can't hide in a
clean enclave and pretend they are different--that somehow they deserve neat
& clean & the poor don't? And, even in the old Roman empire, walls were all
filled with graffiti--it's called public communication. Even the emperors of
old Rome made graffiti--except we call them monuments and triumphal arches,
because what THEY had to say was carved, not painted, and harder to destroy!
(You see, I'm a graffiti-lover! Better graffiti than a groomed & managed
Disney-Town)
Karen

Karen F. Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221 USA
Telephone: 313-927-1352
email: kdavis@marygrove.edu