7791: Re: 7761: Events in Haiti (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< The opposition Convergence Démocratique (CD) rejected an invitation by
 President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to attend talks on solving the political
 deadlock, to be held in the presidential palace on May 3.  The CD said it
 did not recognise Aristide as president and that the talks must take place
 on neutral ground with Aristide in person as a party leader.  An opposition
 invitation to Aristide for talks on April 27 failed when the CD refused to
 negotiate with a spokesman, Sen Yvon Neptune, that he sent in his place. >>

I'm sorry, I must be awfully obtuse, or poorly informed or something.  Wasn't
the Convergence screaming a while ago because Aristide wouldn't meet with
them?  Now they won't meet with him?  I don't get it.  I admit it.

I mean, if they don't recognize Aristide as President (huge guffaw!) who the
heck to they recognize?  Gourgue?  He's president of his own backyard, that's
about it, he didn't run and he couldn't have won if he did run.

It just never seems to end - no matter who is in power, no matter how
democratically elected he was, no matter how many times he won, no matter by
what a huge margin he won, the opposition paints themselves as poor oppressed
victims.

And once a certain party is in power, they seem to think this means they can
do just about anything, beat up judges, beat up the Prime Minister fer cryin'
out loud, and it's okay because they are in power!  It's the mentality that's
sick, it doesn't matter who is playing what role anymore.

Of course I am not comparing Aristide's administration to the Cedras military
regime, and it infuriates me whien people do - there is nothing like the
carnage of that time going on today.  But it does seem as though some new
models of power sharing and power management could be useful, if Haiti is not
to be condemned to the same gear-grinding one administration after another.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html