7930: Re: 7872: Re: 7824: Re: 7775: Morse replies to Grey (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< Manbo,
 Please read again this comment of yours on that very religion you didn't
 make up:

 "...True enough that people can choose to behave morally within the Vodou
 tradition, although the tradition itself does not enjoin moral behavior! //
 I make this choice in certain situations, one of which I am dealing with
 right now..."

 ALTHOUGH THE TRADITION ITSELF DOES NOT ENJOIN MORAL BEHAVIOR!!!>>

That is correct.  There is no injunction at all in Vodou against performing
malevolent magic - I know Houngans, for example, who during the military
regime performed wanga intended to permit FRAPH members to rob, rape and
murder with impunity.  No one suggests that this work is uncharacteristic or
inauthentic.

I, for my own reasons, usually choose not to do malevolent magic.  This does
not make me inauthentic either, and I am not the only Mambo or Houngan to
make this choice.

<< Are you talking about the Vodou tradition? Oh, Manbo Racine, you must be
 kidding! But seriously, such comment is choking, and coming from you, it's
 surprisingly disconcerting! How can you acknowledge religion without moral?

Calm down and don't choke.  Vodou is not Christianity.  The Vodou religion
does not have the same value structure as Christianity, and why should it?

<<Wouldn't you agree with me that the lwa themselves have a moral behavior,
if not an essence principally made up of morality.>>

No, I would not.  Unlike God, who loves all equally, the lwa serve those who
serve them.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb