8009: Re: 7990: Haitian Vodou (Re: 7989 & 7988) (fwd)

From: Eugenio Matibag <ematibag@iastate.edu>

Theologically contradictory to Catholicism?  Catholicism describes a
heavenly host of saints and angels, many of whom have undergone
syncretization with the lwa.

God Almighty may take the form of the distant Bon Dieu but still has need
of intermediaries, leaving it to Erzuli, Dom Pedro, Ogoun, etc. to manifest
the divine presence in human form.

Diverse interpretations exist on the meaning of liturgical "texts," but
Catholic prayer can serve to complement and possibly reinforce the power of
vodou ritual.