8335: Métropole: Convergence spokesman says new CEP must be part of an agreement (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <maxblanchet@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Convergence spokesman says new CEP must be part of an agreement
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Jun 16, 2001

Text of report by Haitian Metropole radio on 15 June; passages within double
oblique strokes in Creole

The Democratic Convergence is somewhat disappointed by its meeting with the
OAS assistant secretary-general yesterday, despite all the explanations
given by [Luigi] Einaudi on the San Jose resolution. The opposition
coalition is not convinced that the Provisional Electoral Council [CEP], as
proposed by President Aristide, is capable of to resolving the crisis. A
letter that proposes a way out of the crisis has been addressed to the
leader of the Lavalas Family.

Convergence spokesman Micha Gaillard has said that the opposition is still
calling for a political agreement and pointed out that Einaudi had affirmed
the OAS's willingness for neutrality. Gaillard spoke to correspondent Wendel
Theodore.

[Gaillard] Einaudi promised us and guaranteed that this is not a sign of
support for Aristide's policy. The fact that we said that we took note of
the five-point letter does not mean that we accept what is in the five
points. He spent a long time explaining to us the opening remarks by OAS
Secretary-General Cesar Gaviria to clarify that there is no definite support
for Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

[Theodore] But he also came to explore possibilities for cooperation between
Haiti and the international community.

[Gaillard] //Well, he did not really speak about that with us. What he told
us is that there is a problem of economic solidarity with the Haitian
people. We understood and agreed on the need for economic solidarity. He
also invited us to think how we could help the Haitian people avoid falling
into all the problems of corruption that this regime carries with it.

[Theodore] //In short, is the Convergence more or less satisfied with the
explanations that Einaudi gave you about the resolution?

[Gaillard] //Well, we are not satisfied. We took note and we saw what lies
behind the paths he asked us to consider. For our part, we developed our
position in the second part of the meeting, a position that is summarized in
the answer we sent to Aristide following the invitation he sent us to take
part in that CEP of his.

[Theodore] //Exactly. Have you written to Aristide on the issue and what did
you say to him? Are you going to take part in the formation of this
credible, neutral and independent CEP?

[Gaillard] //We explained to Aristide, just as we explained to Einaudi, that
if there is a credible, neutral and independent CEP, then it should not be
according to the formula proposed by Aristide. We reject it categorically
and, in return, we made a proposal about the correct way it should be done.
We must discuss it together - that is, the Convergence, the Lavalas regime
and the Civil Society Initiative Group [GISC] should study the composition
of the CEP, its mission, the way it is to be created - it should not be that
Aristide sits in the National Palace and asks for names to be sent to him
and, finally, what the political and secured environment should be like.

We were very clear on that, and we were very surprised to see that Einaudi
took notes and saw how he could help to see if there could be a political
agreement. We said very clearly that the CEP is not something that we shall
accept in any condition. We said clearly that we shall accept it as part of
a package, as part of an agreement in which the CEP will be a part of it.
Then we shall see how we can work in order to reach an overall agreement.//

Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1145 gmt 15 Jun 01

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.