8496: Re: Haiti - the UN - gays (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

From: Charles Arthur

I am still not sure what occured at the United Nations General Assembly
Special Session on HIV/AIDS (UNGASS) on 26 June 2001, although it does appear
that Haiti was one of a number of countries that abstained from a motion
objecting to the ban on the participation of Karyn Kaplan, the International
Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission's HIV Program Officer, in the official
Round Table on HIV/AIDS and human rights.

I have written to Ambassador Lelong, Haiti's ambassador to the UN, asking for
clarification of the reasons why the Republic of Haiti abstained from this
motion, because it seems as though Haiti has sided with a number of states
who do not recognise the rights of gays and lesbians, and who wish to prevent
representatives of a significant section of societies all over the world from
participating in an important international forum.