8557: President Aristide on the negotiations (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

President Jean-Bertrand Aristide on the negotiations

July 4, 2001 -- Prior to departing from Haiti today for the CARICOM meeting
to be held in the Bahamas where President Aristide said he will, "plead the
Haitian people's cause" with respect to Haiti's political and economic
crisis, President Aristide held a press conference to reflect on the
negotiation process which was suspended yesterday.

President Aristide said he was looking for the positive aspects of the
negotiations thus far and said, "We are moving in the right direction,"
pointing out that, "for three days Haitians and Haitians dialogued together,
in a sense of fraternity and with respect, to find a solution to the
political and economic crisis."

President Aristide declared that, "We will continue to dialogue," and
expressed confidence that "in the very near future the dialogue will
recommence to find a balanced accord" from which 8 million [Haitian] people
will benefit."

- 30 -