8661: Re: 8655: Slobodan Milosevic and Aristide

From: Michael Deibert <michael_deibert@hotmail.com>

>>>Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic, the Hitler of the Balkans,
>>>was flown to The Hague, Netherlands for crimes against humanity.<<<

Actually, if you look at the history of the region and the machinations of
the Nazi regime in inflaming the old Serb-Croat-Muslim enmities during the
period leading up to and including World War II, Hitler was the Hitler of
the Balkans and Slobo was simply a striking facsimile. As to the U.S. war
against the native population being the worst, most horrible genocide, I am
sure that the ghosts of the Turkish Armenians, European Jews, Rwandan Tutsis
and Chinese peasants of the Great Leap Forward (not a genocide per se, but
still) would enjoy comparing notes with those from Wounded Knee to determine
which was "worse" and which was "better."

Also, perhaps the real worrisome aspect about President Aristide's
declaration on the zenglendo problem, is just such a possible ramification
of the above, i.e. that, historically, when talking about summary justice,
one man's "zenglendo" was in another time another man's "communist" or yet
another's "radical." Criminals should be punished and taken out of
commission, yet often in the Third World having one or the other epithet
hurled out you meant a one-way ticket to the bone yard.

Michael